Significant Cemetery Dates

Significant Cemetery Dates 

See also Land Acquisition

1837 Apr 4 Foundation stone of chapel laid by Lord Mayor James Meek
1837 Sept 15 Consecration of chapel
1838 March 7 Deed of Settlement signed by the Trustees of York Public Cemetery Company
1854 Dec 23 Order in Council closing all York graveyards and preventing opening of new ones
1861 Office formed by enclosing portico of gatehouse
1880 New main gates provided
1885 Interior of chapel reordered with new pews, heating stoves and a vestry
1892 Size of gatehouse office increased and 2 story extension built on south side
1925 May 28 CWGC Cross of Sacrifice dedicated
1936 New monumental showroom built near main gates
1940 Nov 8 Bomb fell in cemetery damaging CWGC Cross of Sacrifice
1967 June 13 Cemetery in voluntary liquidation – winding up order issued
1979 Apr 12 Liquidation complete – all interest in cemetery disclaimed
1984 July Chapel roof collapsed
1984 Oct Friends of York Cemetery formed with Bereaved Relatives Committee
1986 Oct 1 Declaration of Trust to establish FoYC as a charity to acquire cemetery
1987 Feb 13 York Cemetery Trust took over freehold of cemetery
1989 Jan 17 Friends of York Cemetery became a charity – 701091
1999 May 10 York Cemetery Trust became a charity – 1075408