Land Acquisitions

Land Acquisitions

 

 

Cemetery Land Plan

 

 

 

 

Burials in Chapel Catacombs
3 February 1838 – 3 August 1881
Burials under Chapel Portico
11 January 1840 – 21 September 1928

Grave sizes – Original area (A) 7ft 6ins x 3ft
Remainder of cemetery 9ft x 4ft

Total area – 24.314 acres, purchase price £9646 16s 6d

Stoneyard outside northern boundary, 284 acres, purchased 9 September 1847 for £150

A: 8.300 acres purchased 19 Jul 1837 for £1998 (Grave Nos 1-16048).
Eastern half consecrated 15 Sep 1837 by Archbishop Vernon Harcourt – first used 5 Oct 1837.
Western half not consecrated – first used 21 Jan 1837B: 2.875 acres purchased 16 Oct 1848 for £888 16s 6d (Grave Nos 16049-18986)
Consecrated 14 Aug 1857 by Archbishop Thomas Musgrave – first used 24 Aug 1858C: 2.350 acres purchased 12 Sept 1868 with area D below for £1400 (Grave Nos 18989-21812)
Consecrated 9 Apr 1872 by Archbishop William Thomson – first used 22 May 1897D: 3.044 acres purchased 12 Sept 1868 with area C above for £1400 (Grave Nos 1A-3244A)
Consecrated 9 Apr 1872 by Archbishop William Thomson – first used 18 Jan 1889E: 1.750 acres purchased 2 June 1887 for £900 (Grave Nos 3358B-5502B)
Not consecrated – first used 4 Feb 1907F: 2.281 acres purchased 22 Oct 1878 for £2600 (Grave Nos 5504C-7416C)
Consecrated 3 Oct 1924 by HStJS Woolcombe, Bishop of Selby – first used 13 Nov 1925

G: 2.720 acres purchased 15 May 1929 for £1360 (Grave Nos 9000D-11808D)
Consecrated 6 May 1931 by Archbishop William Temple – first used 15 May 1931
The Lily pool at the western end of this area was filled in and used for burials – first used 29 Oct 1951

H:0,994 acres purchased Feb 1941 for £500 (Grave Nos 11809D-12632D)
Consecrated 5 May 1941 by CF Knyvett, Bishop of Selby – first used 13 Aug 1941